For anyone looking for a good cawl (welsh lamb and vegetable stew) recipe here’s the one my mother taught me, you can’t beat home cooking!
- Lamb Shoulder (ask the butcher for amount for the number of servings but about 300g per person)
- With vegetables, use the ratio of 1-2 of each for about 4 servings, and scale for preference (I like more carrot/parsnip and less potato)
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- Place lamb into slow cooker/large stock pot and fill with water to cover.
- Allow to cook for 4-5 hours on a low setting/heat.
- Leave to cool, and skim off fat from the top of the water.
- Remove the meat and cut into 2cm chunks, place in a bowl in the fridge.
- Using the same water that you just cooked the meat in, add the vegetables (cut into 2cm chunks) and the bouquet garni. Cook overnight or as long as possible.
- Before serving, add a portion of lamb to each serving dish then top with the broth.
- Best served with crusty bread.